Saturday, May 2, 2009

SO I GUESS I'LL TUTE MY OWN HORN

Well once again I've fallen behind on my blogging. I'm still trying to figure out how to take a shower before noon with 2 kids wanting my attention. So needless to say my blogging takes a major back burner to everything else.
So I'll start out by bragging about myself. Just what you have been waiting for I'm sure. I have been slowly trying to get back in shape after having Caleb. Of course my favorite exercise and activity right now is riding my bike. So to push myself into riding better I decided to sign up for the Salt Lake Marathon bike tour this year. Well let me re-phrase that. My brother talked me into signing up I was scared to death. It wasn't a race just a 26 mile ride along the same path as the marathon. We started at 6 a.m. (way too early) and it was about 40 degrees. As usual my dad was late picking me up so as we were unloading, getting gear on, and pumping up tires, we could hear the announcer counting down the start of the ride. It was hectic but dad and I were able to peddle down the hill and join the ride. Nic caught up within' seconds (of course) and very quickly past us up. I didn't see him again until I finally finished the ride. It was a beautiful ride and so much fun. I rarely get to ride with anybody so it was cool to be in a huge group. I think there was over 1,000 of us this year. And also so cool to be able to ride on busy streets without cars to worry about and not stopping at the stop lights was awesome as well. After about an hour of riding my dad left me in the dust and I slowly chugged along with the slow end of the group. Finally after making it up the what seemed like 200 mile hill on State Street I peddled through the finish line at Gateway. It felt great! I have always had a goal that I wanted to do the marathon but knew I would never be able to run (thanks to Davis High gym teachers running makes me sick). So I was very proud of myself for finishing. It's hard for me to do these kind of things because I am very intimidated by other peoples abilities compared to mine. But I did it!
My next group ride is June 6th --38 miles this time. I am scared to death but Nic keeps telling me "if you can do 26 you can do 100..easily." Yeah easy for someone with zero percent body fat that has nothing else to do besides ride all the time. Anyway I'm looking forward to that ride and forward to challenging myself more and more.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Wow!! I am still totally impressed. Good for you. How long did that take you?